Change can be scary as we feel new things, entertain different thoughts, perhaps leave old ways behind. Here are 10 obstacles that can hinder self-growth.
1. Denial. It’s difficult to grow when you don’t see the need. Listen to the quiet voice inside and to what your loved ones are saying. Get the support you need to see the truth.
2. Seeing yourself as a victim. If you’re always one-down, you can’t become the empowered person you are meant to be.
3. Substance abuse. Whether you’re self-medicating or seeking escape, the problems just don’t go away without the willingness to face them.
4. Self-loathing. Nothing banishes self-hatred faster than self-care. Choose in any moment the kindest path.
5. Blame. If we always point the finger at another, we never see our own role.
6. Defensiveness. This is a racket we swing against anything that suggests we might be at fault. Try to see “faults” as opportunities to grow.
7. Fear. Acknowledge the frightened parts of yourself, praise your courage, and be gentle.
8. Rage. Rage is a call for attention to our triggers, but sometimes we get stuck there. Accepting and working creatively with the feelings can help free you.
9. Busyness. Constantly moving allows no time for the reflection that lays the foundation for self-growth.
10. Unwillingness to admit error. As with defensiveness, if we stop judging “error” as wrong, an ever-expanding life awaits.
As you carefully read and ponder this list, honestly acknowledge if any of these describe you. Yes, it is scary to see our weaknesses!! But, they are just that… weaknesses. Stepping up and claiming they are a part of you is the first step to changing. You can create whatever you want to create in your life. It just means waking up and stepping up.
Finding a life coach is a great way to help you move through these barriers swiftly and securely.